Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Klingon is not a real language

I had to report for jury duty yesterday. I forgot about my summons until a reminder popped up on my calendar at 12am (midnight), the day of my summons. Yikes! So I called in, figuring that I wouldn't have to report. To my surprise, and disdain, the recorded instructions were to "report to the courthouse at 8:30am". I called back twice and typed in my juror summons ID number V-E-R-Y slowly, just to make sure they were really calling me in. Yup, sure enough, I was one of "the chosen".

So I showed up at the courthouse at 8:30am and walked into a room FULL of other people that had probably also gooogled, "what happens if I skip jury duty?" and saw that the answers were often unpleasant and included "jail time" or "you'll have to stand in front of a judge and give them a good reason why you could not attend...and you'll also have to pay a fine." I had already postponed jury duty last year, so there were no outs for me. *Sigh.

BUT, I was not chosen probably because I:
a) appear to be in middle school
and
b) dressed like I am in middle school

Sweet! I was out by 10:30am.

BUT...before I was let out, I was witness to a very creepy situation. There was a very small man (I know, I shouldn't be allowed to judge, but it just added to the creepiness), about 40-45 years old, speaking to a cute, young (probably 18-20 years old), kind of punk-rock, taller blonde girl about KLINGON language and how it's a real language. And she was TOTALLY eating it up. She also told him all about her travels through Europe, etc.

He kept trying to finish her sentences but he was totally off every time. For example, she said, "yeah, I was in Europe, and it sounds really crazy now, but my friend and I took a ride from this guy..." and then the creepy older man jumped in, all excitedly, and said, "and he was a total jerk and tried to take you back to his place?" And she said, "um, no, he turned out to be really friendly and we ended up being friends with him!" This went on for a while. But I felt like everything he tried to finish her sentences with was just describing HIM.

On top of all of that, he was whispering the entire time. Everyone else in the room was speaking at a normal volume, if speaking at all.

THAT'S TOTALLY CREEPY

No comments:

Post a Comment