Thursday, July 2, 2009

Say CHEESE...I mean, say creeeeepy!

My sister Carolyn, her boyfriend Matt, and I, all went to The Met (The Metropolitan Museum of Art, for those of you not hip on the NYC lingo....hahahaha) on Tuesday to see the sculpture on the roof created by Roxy Paine. Yes, that's his "real" name. Anyway, he creates/welds these huge metal sculptures that look like trees and he made a HUGE one on the roof of The Met. It's incredible. And it's even more incredible for someone like me, that loves welding.

And it's so amazing that I am able to see the sculpture while I'm here in New York. I had noticed a metal tree sculpture in the background of my friends' pictures of their recent visit to Seattle and I googled, "metal tree sculpture, Seattle" and found the artist's name. Then I googled, "Roxy Paine metal trees" and found out about his exhibit at The Met the day after I booked my tickets to come this summer. It was fate. :)

Nothing creepy about the sculpture. It was beautiful. You can see my pictures of the sculpture here: http://picasaweb.google.com/gfong8/RoxyPaineMetalTreesAtTheMet63009#

But check out this picture of Carolyn and I outside of the museum. Ignore the fact that Carolyn is wrapped in a scarf. Look at who is watching us!


THAT'S TOTALLY CREEPY!

I'm filing this one under "creepy randomness" and "not creepy" because:
Roxy Paine Metal Trees=not creepy
Doll strapped to back of man's backpack (though he was with his family and daughter, whom the doll probably belongs to, though we're not 100% sure), staring at us while our picture is taken=creepy randomness

**And a special shoutout to Matt, Carolyn's boyfriend, for indulging my need to take pictures of creepy things/people. After I pointed out the doll strapped to the man's back, Matt immediately started posing for fake pictures on the steps so that we could get a picture of the doll, which paved the way to this magical picture, which Matt actually took. Bravo Matthew, bravo!**

No comments:

Post a Comment